Skip to content

Use of Facilities Provided by Holders of Private Recreational Leases

Private Recreational Leases (PRLs) are special purpose leases granted to organisations that provide facilities for recreational purposes. All leaseholders may, at any time, decide on cooperation with any association or organisation to promote their own objectives and sports development.

The rights and obligations of holders of PRLs are set out in their leases. One of the lease conditions requires that a leaseholder, if requested by a “competent authority” (i.e., the Education Bureau, Social Welfare Department, Leisure and Cultural Services Department, Home Affairs Bureau and Civil Service Bureau), should make available specified facilities for the use of eligible outside organisations* for organising recreational and sports activities, subject to certain conditions. Any fee, if charged, should be on a cost recovery basis. Holders of PRLs which were renewed in 2011 and 2012 should open up their sports facilities to eligible outside bodies for no less than 50 hours per month under the Open-up Schemes approved by Home Affairs Bureau.

The relevant lease requirement allows a degree of public use of the sports facilities of holders of PRLs so as to help promote sport in Hong Kong. While the links below provide information on the details of approved Open-up Schemes (including sports activities available, fees and charges, opening time slots and contact details) covering a total of 49 venues (Open-up Schemes of the remaining venues are being drawn up by leaseholders) operated by holders of PRLs which were renewed in 2011 and 2012, eligible outside organisations may also wish to contact other lessees direct for access to their sports facilities.

Some holders of PRLs do not have the requirement of opening up their sports facilities to eligible outside bodies for no less than 50 hours per month. However, they also have voluntary open-up schemes. The link below provides information on the details of their voluntary open-up schemes (including sports facilities available, fees and charges, opening time slots and contact details). The information will be updated irregularly.

Any eligible outside organisation which is interested in using any of the facilities operated by a holder of a PRL may contact the respective leaseholder or this Bureau (3509 7068 or 3509 7098) for enquiries. If eligible outside organisations wish to complain about using the sports facilities operated by PRL holders, they can lodge their complaints to this Bureau.

Public Consultation on the Policy Review on PRLs

Home Affairs Bureau has launched a six-month public consultation from 20 March 2018 to 19 September 2018 to gauge views from the public and stakeholders on the review of PRLs policy. Please refer to the link below for the report of the public consultation.



*  Eligible outside organisations refer to -
 -  Schools registered under the Education Ordinance;
 -  Non- governmental Organisations receiving subvention from the Social Welfare Department;
 -  Uniformed groups and youth organisations receiving subvention from the Home Affairs Bureau; and
 -  “National sports associations” recognised by the Sports Federation & Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China and relevant International Federations.

Back Top