Cultural Exchange Programmes and Training Opportunities for
Local Artists and Arts Administrators in Hong Kong
In order to enhance the development of cultural software and humanware in Hong Kong, including the development and cultivation of local cultural and creative talents, the Government would like to further promote the training opportunities including arts scholarship, internship and exchange programmes currently offered to local artists and arts administrators, which will be crucial in fostering their excellence and professionalism and beneficial to the development of the arts community in Hong Kong. General information on cultural exchange, art scholarship and internship programmes on offer in Hong Kong by the Government, the local universities and cultural organizations are captured below for easy reference. For details, please click into the hyperlinks of the websites of individual institutions, and contact the individual organizations direct for detailed enquiries and matters related to applications.
Home Affairs Bureau
The Home Affairs Bureau administers Hong Kong Jockey Club Music and Dance Fund which awards scholarships once a year to enable exceptionally talented candidates to pursue integrated programmes of post-diploma studies, post-graduate studies or professional training in music or dance at world renowned institutions outside Hong Kong. The Bureau has also established the Arts Development Fund for local arts organizations and artists to participate in Mainland and overseas cultural exchange projects.
Leisure and Cultural Services Department
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department provides job opportunities in the field of arts and culture. It offers internship placements for post-secondary students during summer at various offices. Short-term internships are also available at various offices occasionally.
Hong Kong Arts Development Council
- The Arts Ambassadors-in-School Scheme commends students who have outstanding achievements in the arts. Student ambassadors will participate in an array of arts activities. They are encouraged to expand their artistic talent and influence, actively promoting arts to other people.
- Hong Kong Scholarship on the Clore Leadership Programme (CLP), is open to outstanding and talented local candidates with leadership potential. The successful Scholar will engage with fellows of the CLP in a 6-month full-time programme of intensive leadership training and secondment in the United Kingdom.
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- The Academy provides channels for local and non-local students ranging from dance, drama, film and television, music, theatre and entertainment arts to Chinese traditional theatre, to articulate with international cultural exchanges and internship programmes with professional performing arts organisations and renowned companies.
- Students have opportunities to network and exchange ideas with peers and professionals overseas.
Please email to email@example.com for enquiry.
The University of Hong Kong
- Rayson Huang Scholarship in Music is offered for Bachelor, Master or Doctorate students in Music.
- Magdeline Lor Grants for Fine Arts Students and The Arts and Education Limited Fine Arts Student Travel Grants are offered to students in Fine Arts.
- Student Exchange Programme is offered to students from all faculties of The University of Hong Kong.
City University of Hong Kong
- To enrich students’ academic and cultural experience and promote an internationalized university life, City University of Hong Kong has been proactive in establishing two-way student exchange links with prominent universities all over the world and provides internship opportunities for students.
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Apart from different scholarships and awards which are open to all CUHK students, there are around 20 scholarships and awards designated for CUHK students in fine arts and music each year.
- Various international cultural exchange programmes and internship opportunities are also available. To name a few, there are: "Exposure at Beijing Museum Library" programme for all students, cultural exchange programmes organized by Colleges, and internship opportunities in Mainland China and Australia provided by Department of Fine Arts.
- The British Council offers networking opportunities, study tours and development grants to cultural organisations in China/Hong Kong and the UK to facilitate cultural collaborations between the 2 countries through the scheme of Connections through Culture.
- British Chevening Scholarships are awarded annually by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and administered by the British Council to outstanding young people from Hong Kong and Macao for postgraduate study in the UK.
Asian Cultural Council
- ACC Fellowships with grant funds ranging from 1-month to 1-year programme are offered to support artists and specialists from Asia for study, research, travel and creative programmes in the United States.
- Project and Organization Grants are available for arts organizations and educational and cultural institutions to apply for support for projects of exceptional importance involving cultural exchange between Asia and the United States or regional exchange in Asia.
Arts Council Korea
- The Arts Council Korea, a government agency under Korea Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, has offered a 6-month "Administration Training Program for Cultural Professionals" from Asia, Latin America and Africa with full sponsorship, though invitation by the Arts Council.